When St. Paul Lutheran Church was established in 1893, our mission was to serve as a Gospel outreach base not just for Fort Worth and its suburbs, but several counties in North Texas.
For more than a century, that mission has continued and the St. Paul family includes people from more than 60 different zip codes and three counties.
Our first permanent home was in a Knights of Honor hall at Houston and Second Street, where rent cost $80 a year. Four years later, we borrowed $1,500 from the Missouri Synod and built a 20-foot by 24-foot wood-frame church at Hemphill and Railroad now Vickery streets.
Twenty years after that, we borrowed and built again on May street. The church continued to grow as did the people of St. Paul's faith as the Holy Spirit continued to bless the congregation.
Through the decades, we have trusted the Lord to provide the means for tasks only He could accomplish -- and then witnessed His faithfulness! In 1950, when we were half our present size, we paid (in 2005 dollars) almost $600,000 for the 3 acres at 1800 West Freeway and more than $4 million for our A-frame sanctuary and Fellowship Hall. All debt was paid within a year of completion.
The same challenges and opportunities of expanding the kingdom are with us today, and through the fullness of God's grace in 2005 the Holy Spirit took us out to the community of Aledo where The Summit was born. Worship began in Vandagriff Elementary School but with blessing and growth a gymnastics gym was purchased and redone for worship in Aledo.
In 2010 God once again began opening doors for ministry on the near Southside. This movement began with the Holy Spirit leading us to develop a “Kids Hope USA” mentoring program. This led into an “Adopt a School” relationship with Daggett Elementary.
St. Paul continues to "Ignite passion for Christ wherever we are; love unexpectedly wherever we go."